Why do some of us yearn to get away
Why do we
travel? What makes one person want to set off into the unknown, while the next
is perfectly content at home?
I knew
nothing of the outside world when I was young. However, I remember a cousin
saying her family might move to America. I was immediately jealous. Not because
I would miss her, but because I wanted to go in her place. I knew nothing of
America, only that it was somewhere else, somewhere new, and I was
ready to go there. A few years later, I was about eleven, and I told my granny
that when I grew up, I wanted to travel. “Oh no,” she told me, with a scowl. “The
men in the family travel, the women stay at home.” I still remember the
stillness in the air when she said those words. I thought I had stopped
breathing. But I didn’t argue with her. No one argued with granny. I simply knew
that I had to find a way to bypass the women who stayed at home. Thankfully,
when I was 15, a speaker visited an after-school club and she gave me the
perfect plan. She had been a midwife in Papua New Guinea, sent there by
Voluntary Services Overseas. As she spoke, I knew that I could do this too. I could save women from death
and disease and have my travel and adventure. Granny would not be able to say a
word.
And that
is how I got away. It
wasn’t an easy path. Nursing school was difficult. I had studied physics rather than biology at school, so anatomy wasn’t
always clear to me - In my first few weeks I was told that the rectal temperature was the core temperature of the body, and I remember thinking, 'rectum, hmm, where is the rectum?' Thankfully, by the time I reached midwifery school I had a better
grasp of body parts. And I'm immensely grateful to Voluntary Services Overseas who saw my earnestness and sent the 23-year-old me to a mission hospital in northern Zambia. My life changed forever. It wasn't easy, and there were times when I wanted to run home. But the naive young thing who thought she knew everything evolved into a woman who knew life was complex and that white folks had much to learn from black folks.
So why do some of us want to run off to new worlds? So many reasons - adventure, challenge and, I think, because life is short. Who wants to regret the road not taken?
I returned to northern Zambia and revisited Chilonga 25 years later. So happy to have taken that road.
Comments
Post a Comment