Travel solo - While you're there
Watch the locals to find out how they interact. Watch how they greet each other - whether they make eye contact, bow, smile. Look at how they're dressed. If the women don't wear shorts in the street, then you probably shouldn't.
A smile can take you a long way. I don't mean a dippy smile that makes you look like you're on happy pills, or a desperate smile that will make you look, well, desperately lonely. I mean a strong smile that says I am happy to be here, I am confident. This is the smile you use when you enter a restaurant alone and you refuse to look apologetic because you want a table for one. If it helps, use the old-fashioned African greeting, "Hello, and how are you?" It carries warmth, shows confidence and requires an answer, for who can avoid replying, "I am well, thank you."
Other lone travellers may be cold. They may genuinely not want to make friends with anyone. Don't take it personally if they snub you. So, while this might sound contradictory, don't be too friendly. Keep a little bit of yourself in reserve. Be careful you do not give away too much information about yourself, information that might make someone more familiar than is healthy - family situation, health issues, financial background. It's ok to be vague. Besides people often like to talk about themselves, and it's easy to turn the conversation away from yourself. You can go beyond the "Where are you from?" by asking: Why are you here? Have you visited before? Have they visited your home country? What is their home country like to visit?
Cafes, beaches, museums and other public places are your best friend when travelling alone. As long as you are out in public then it rare that something bad can happen to you. For this reason, never go to a new friend's hotel room, car, home. If someone pressures you to take their hospitality then back away quickly and in public. Pay attention to your instincts: If you're uncomfortable, retreat to a safe place.
If someone is bothering you, it may be a good idea to have the name of a fictitious friend you are meeting. Use this fictitious friend to your advantage - you are meeting them later. Or simply say, "I have plans." Blunt and to the point.
I have shaken off persistent strangers by saying that I need to go and make a phone call. This lets the person know that you are not alone in the world. You should always know where you are escaping to - taxi, bus, train, hotel - simply know where you are going and that the exit is clear.
Comments
Post a Comment