Have you ever taken off at the last minute just because you wanted to?
From experience, I can say that it is nothing but liberating. It could be by car, train or airplane. You might not know exactly where you are going or how long you will be there, but you will feel free. I did this when I had finished the long slog that was midwifery school and I wanted to be as far away from any medical establishment as I could get. I bought a month long European train ticket and headed first to San Sebastian on the Bay of Biscay. I have no idea what took me there, but it had a beautiful wide beach and, after the dark Scottish skies, I felt I could stand up straight and look out at the world. From there I journeyed through France, Italy and, of course, Greece, taking my time to watch people and lose myself in places that were not my home. There were a few moments when men caused hassle, but I learned to stay calm and remote. Tell nothing about yourself or make up a fake friend you are meeting.
I took off again when I came home from Zambia. I should have taken up work but I was weary of responsibility and wanted to revisit Europe. It was January and train stations were bleak places where wind and rain whipped across rails and platforms. No regrets. I caught up with friends, learned to polka in Austria and danced on St. Marks Square in Italian Carnival.
Travelling alone is not easy, and the freedom can be daunting. There are almost always moments when you wished you had a companion, someone to share joys and miseries, but there are also no compromises. No one to insist we visit their parents' honeymoon site or the former home of their favourite singer.
Take advantage of your freedom. Just do it!
Comments
Post a Comment