It’s been a
wet and windy summer in the UK. People here are famous for enjoying a
good groan about the weather, but even most Brits are now weary of complaining.
I’ve been back for three weeks and have seen only three days with no rainfall.
But what to
do about it? Suffer, say many. It gives us lush gardens, although those people don’t
mention the slugs and weeds that flourish after such downpours. Escape, say
others as they peruse last-minute travel websites. The Mediterranean countries,
Spain, Italy and Greece, top the holiday search terms. But while some are
tempted to escape to the sun, others fret. A neighbour shared her worries. “Is
it worth going away? It’s August already. We’ll be getting ready for Christmas
soon. Shouldn’t we just give this summer a miss?”
Christmas!
It’s still August.
I know I
will be criticised for saying this – but go and have fun, no more being hunched
down under the wind and rain. Stand tall and straight, feel that sun’s warmth. There
is an economic crisis on, and we should all be watching the bank card charges.
But the world is out there, and we get one shot at it. We don’t have to go far.
When my little family left life in Texas and moved to England, we knew few people and life was lonely. I found I had to take the boys
exploring, no matter the weather or the bank balance. We took advantage of
special deals and made day trips to Boulogne in France. It gave us such a
boost.
Escaping the
unhappiness of dismal grey skies and relentless rain is about heading for the
sunny side of the street. It is worth it when you get there.

Comments
Post a Comment