I went to a
foreign land this week. You see, I needed a new bikini. The one I wear
is ten years old and looks like me, a little faded. All I could find in London
were the tiny, triangular cuts that belong on teenagers, or the balcony style
structures that push your boobs under your chin. I am no buxom heavyweight, but
I wanted something more fitting for a woman my age. So, I stood outside a shop
famous among women with bosoms and I wondered if I could go in. Nothing in the
window indicated that it sold anything for women like me, but I had heard that
deep in its recesses there was swimsuit stock that might work.
My little
heart raced as I stood at the doorway. What if the salespeople told me I didn’t
belong and laughed at me. My feet began to move away, there was no point in
going in. I didn’t belong. But there was a wee side of me that was quite
desperate for a new bikini, and I decided to brave any mockery. I stepped into
the shop where hefty and fulsome bras and swimsuits hung from floor to ceiling.
I could see nothing, zilch, in my size.
The buxom
shop assistant smiled at me, and I wanted to run away.
“Can I help
you?” She asked.
I apologised for being there and pointed to my little boobs while backing towards the door. “I don’t think I’m
allowed in here.”
She burst
out laughing. “Of course, you’re allowed in here.”
“But I’m
only a B or a C cup.”
“We have
stock for every woman,” she said confidently. That wasn’t what it said on the
window – D cups and above. But I kept quiet.
She assured
me they could find something for me. Within seconds she had called her special
sizing assistant and told me to meet her upstairs. I climbed the steps knowing
that I was going deeper into this foreign land, and it would not be easy to
navigate back out. The first floor had
even more bras and swimsuits, all girded to support well-fronted women. This
was definitely not my land and I hurried back downstairs. However, the first
shop assistant stopped me. “Go back upstairs,” she told me. “Sherille is
waiting for you.”
Reluctantly,
I climbed back upstairs wondering how I was ever going to escape. Sherille was
waiting. She didn’t smile, but she gave my chest a pointed stare.
“I’m a B or
C cup.” I apologised again.
She
scrutinised me for a little longer and shook her head. “No, you’re not,” she
said.
I nodded, “I
am, this is a Marks and Spencer’s bra, I can show you the label.” And I pulled at
the back of my bra as though I was showing her my passport.
She didn’t
argue but went away and came back with a beautifully flowered bikini top. “Try
this on,” she said and helped me with the back fastener. I turned to look in
the mirror and the top was exactly what I wanted – no shoe-string triangle or
balcony support that shoved my little boobs into water wings – but a bikini top
that held everything neatly in place.
“Wow!” I
told her. “This is exactly what I was looking for.”
She grinned.
“And what size do you think it is?”
I shook my
head, still smiling at this amazing fit. “A 32A,” I said.
She laughed
out loud. “It’s a 30FF.”
We both blurted
forward in laughter. “It can’t be,” I told her, and she showed me the label. 30FF.
Ok, I know I
haven’t sprung from a 34B to a 30FF. The brand she showed me is made for women
like me and uses inflated cup sizes that allows their stock to be sold in a
place that advertises D cups and up. Who cares? Bravissimo gave me a
perfectly fitted bikini and I discovered that it wasn’t such a foreign land.
Travel
needn’t involve our passports. The distance might all be in our heads (or in
our boobs).
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment