Skip to main content

Friends you make while travelling

 

Probably the most prominent  friend I made while travelling is Melitta, an Austrian girl I shared a house with while in Zambia. She was, like me, young and idealistic, keen to improve healthcare in our little segment of Africa. We shared a house at the back of the mission hospital with an English woman. Helen was a difficult character, a woman who played There’ll Always Be An England every Sunday morning and corrected Melitta and me if we didn’t display perfect English manners. The work we did was challenging, and the nuns’ rules could feel petty. Melitta and I bonded over a daily beer and shared stories of our patients. Occasionally, a European teacher or an agriculturalist would turn up to take us to a party on a weekend and we would laugh and dance as though we had few cares.

Melitta and I still drink beer, dance and laugh outrageously. Helen, however, took God’s wedding ring and joined the convent.

Matrine was another Zambian friend. She was a law student when we met in Lusaka. I can’t remember what drew us together, but we had keen conversations over politics, changes to Zambian society and feminism. After I left the country, we wrote to each other but, as children arrived, we lost touch. However, I looked her up one day. I was keen to return to Zambia and see what had happened in the 25 years since I had left. Matrine’s name up came up quickly online. She wasn’t simply a lawyer. She was head of women and law in five southern African nations. I called her office. “Who will I say is calling?” asked the receptionist. I gave my maiden name, and Matrine came on the line laughing, “Yvonne, I still tell people about you.” A few months later, I stayed with her during the Zambian elections, and she gave me insight on who were the key players in politics. She even took me to a relative’s house. He was a candidate for the presidency. He didn’t win that year, but guess who is Zambian president today?

One of Matrine’s daughters messaged me a few years after my visit to say, “my mother is now late,” a Zambian euphemism. Matrine had passed away.

Ghassan was a medical student who joined our obstetric unit in the Abu Dhabi desert one summer. He was shy in asking questions, and I was happy to pre-empt his curiosity and explain why decisions were made on specific pregnancies. It helped and his own curiosity came forward. Ghassan was Syrian and Christian. As a result, his family had been pushed out of Syria. To make matters worse, he was attending medical school in Iraq. I cannot help but hope that he finished medical school and was free of that country well before the Iraq war started.

Sometimes, you meet someone and don’t even swap names. Two visitors swept into the Abu Dhabi hospital one day. They were young, linked arms and had an easy exuberance that wasn’t common among Emiratis. I sensed they were Nomads. The woman was wearing a beautiful dress – embroidered in bold colours with little mirrors sewn into the fabric. I had few Arabic skills, but she easily gleaned that I loved her dress and lifted it up to show me her embroidered petticoats. Then something happened. I don’t believe either of us suggested it, but we went into an empty room and swapped clothes. She put on my skinny white uniform, and I donned her petticoats, dress and face mask – its stiff frame left my vision blinkered. We had no mirrors to look at ourselves, no phones to record the image, but we laughed with each other. I often wonder what happened to her. She probably occasionally tells people of the night she swapped clothes with a complete stranger.


Melitta and I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're all foreigners somewhere

  Most of us don’t think of ourselves as foreigners, even when we’re overseas. We believe that we are one with the wider group. After all, foreigners are something else, they are the people who don’t belong. I remember the first time I realised I was be an outsider. My British Caledonian flight to Zambia had landed in Lusaka and, when I looked out onto the tarmac, none of the ground staff looked like me. It gave me a thrill but also a sense of vulnerability. These people were not my people and I wondered if I would be safe among them. That thought prompted another – this is how visitors to my own country must feel. They are outnumbered, and their dress, skin colour, hair, any number of things, mark them out and perhaps leave them open to hostility. I have to say that I met no hostility in Zambia. Instead, my social skills grew as I learned to reach out to the people I lived among. Perhaps I did it to fit in, to ensure that I was less of a foreigner. I didn’t anticipate feeling ...
If no one ever left home Think of a world where no one ever travelled. One where we knew all our neighbours, our landscapes, and we shared the same philosophy on life. In this world we would know nothing of what lay over a hillside, behind a mountain or across the sea. Some people in this world, they are perfectly happy here.   Personally, I feel smothered even writing that description. Travel is as much about considering new ideas as it is about taking a photo or buying a t-shirt. My first trip overseas was magical although perhaps not in some people's eyes. I travelled from Scotland to Greece by bus - four days of looking out of the window onto a foreign world, my very own vista. It was dawn when we reached the Greek border, the hillsides were golden and, as I looked around, I would not have been surprised to see a shepherd and his nymphs frolicking downhill toward me. No matter the long bus journey, I had arrived into a magical land. The children of The Lion, the Witch and ...

To guide or not to guide

  The mobile phone has made travel easier. Not only can we contact our loved ones more easily, tell them we’re in trouble, ask for help, or simply tell them that we miss them, but the mobile phone gives us access to maps, a compass, and guides on where to eat and places to stay. When I began travelling, which was in the dark ages before the internet, I would write to a country’s tourist board and tell them what part of their country I wanted to visit. They would send me a stack of brochures, and I would pour over the photos and the text for months ahead of our trip. My friends were not so engaged. All they wanted was sun and they left the planning to me. Looking back, there wasn’t a lot of planning. We’d take the bus from the old airport in Athens to Piraeus, step into any of the ferry offices and buy a ticket to an island. We didn’t ask where to find the ferry but would walk along the port side yelling at anyone on board each boat: “Paros”, “Crete” or wherever. Most times we w...