Regrets, I’ve had a few. And probably the greatest is that,
through my life, I took almost no photographs. Really! The backpacking years of
bus journeys across Europe, sleeping on beaches, being young and stupid. No
photos! The archaeological dig at Hebron in Israel, no photos! Living in the African
bush, a few photos, but they were all taken by other people and sent to me
later.
Why did I think it was okay to go through life and record
nothing? Looking back, I simply didn’t think about it. I was living and it didn’t
occur to me that one day I might want to muse with a smile over my 21st
birthday on Santorini where we slept on the beach and the girls gave me a tomato
with a candle on it as we couldn’t afford a cake. That crocheted dress I bought
in rural Zimbabwe that needed an underskirt – did I wear one? Did I hell! And
then there was that party we had that led to a large fight and guests ‘dreeping’
out of the first-floor window which ultimately led to us being evicted from our
student flat.
When my husband and kids came along, there are photos, lots
of evidence of good times. But even then, there are gaps. Hauling my oldest
child in a backpack on an anti-nuclear war march through the streets of
Indianapolis – this is the child who later imported a Russian tank into the UK –
no evidence, only my memory. Why didn’t I think to take photos?
Again, it was just life, living it and not thinking that
anything might be noteworthy. But it was all noteworthy, increasingly so as I
get older.
However, maybe I should be relieved that there is no
photographic evidence of that crocheted dress to embarrass myself with. Memory
tells me I should have worn an underskirt.
No photo will accompany this blog.
Comments
Post a Comment